LOS ANGELES SHARKS CLASSIC WHA JERSEY
- The Sharks will host a media press conference Tuesday with President and CEO Greg Jamison, Sharks Executive Vice President of Business Operations Malcolm Bordelon, logo designer Terry Smith, and an unnamed Sharks player to unveil the new design of the San Jose Sharks logo, and the newly designed website. The new RBK Edge jersey with an updated Sharks logo will be released at a later date
. The press conference will be streamed online via sjsharks.com
Tuesday at 10AM.
In conjunction with the "new look of Sharks territory", the first 100 fans who spend $50 or more at participating Orchard Supply Hardware Stores on July 24th will receive a free commemorative shirt with the new logo. Stores open at 7AM, but the shirts will be given out with a reciept after 10AM.
- The Sharks were saddened to announce the passing of John Ferguson, who spent 11 years as a consultant and scout with the San Jose Sharks organization. A veteran with the Montreal Canadiens, Ferguson racked up 1,214 penalty minutes en route to winning 5 Stanley Cups. His son, John Ferguson Jr, is the president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
"We have lost a very beloved member of the San Jose Sharks
family today," said Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager
Doug Wilson. "John Ferguson was one of the most beloved figures to ever
represent the Sharks, as well as the entire National Hockey League. His
sense of class, grace and love of the game of hockey is legendary among
those who were fortunate enough to know and work with him. We will
always carry his spirit with us and never forget the impact he has had
in the success of this franchise. Our thoughts and prayers are with the
entire Ferguson family."
The Canadian Press said the league lost one of its most colorful characters
, noting that he got into a fight 12 seconds into his first NHL game. Ted Wyman and Jim Bender of Sun Media recalled Ferguson as "one of the toughest players in NHL history, and a fiery-tempered executive", but one with a softer side. David Pollak of the Mercury News
quoted longtime Montreal Gazette writer Red Fisher, "he was the best by far of that breed", and former Sharks announcer and former Maple Leaf Pete Stemkowski, "He had a lot of friends and he had a few enemies over the years, too". A memorial service for Ferguson will be held Saturday in Windsor, Ontario.
- After several difficult weeks in the media, the Edmonton Oilers emerged with the highest profile player remaining in free agency with offensive defenseman Sheldon Souray
. Souray returns to his home province of Alberta with a 5-year, $27 million contract. The Oilers were rebuffed in their attempts to sign center Michael Nylander or the much publicized offer sheet to Thomas Vanek. In the 6-4 226-pound Souray, the Oilers gain a much needed presence on the blueline after trading captain Jason Smith to Philadelphia for Joni Pitkanen.
- Sharks of the (near) future? Setoguchi, Wishart could find their way to San Jose this season
- San Jose Mercury News.
- Recent San Jose transactions: The Sharks signed defenseman Brad Norton on Wednesday and re-signed right wing Tom Cavanagh, right wing Mike Iggulden, left wing Riley Armstrong, and defenseman Brennan Evans. On Monday, the Sharks re-signed group III free agent defenseman Rob Davison to a one-year contract.
- The blog at Dear Lord Stanley
has an excellent post breaking down the release of the new Boston Bruins jersey with a historical and aesthetic perspective. Joe calls the new Boston uniform a "good, old-school" design.
Paul Lukas of Uniwatch
says, "The Bruins hit a home run, scored a hat trick, bowled a turkey, [insert next cliché here] with their new uniforms, which were unveiled yesterday. In an era when I almost always have some quibble about a team’s new design, I have exactly zero bad things to say about this one."
Former Sharkspage webhost and current Bank of America VP Justin brought back one of last year's Boston Bruins jerseys from a recent road trip. With the exception of the laces on the collar of the new jersey, the yellow stripes down the sleeves, and the block lettering leave the old style looking a bit more authentic. The Sharks open the 2007-08 NHL regular season October 4th in Edmonton, and face the Boston Bruins October 13th in the home opener at HP Pavilion.
- Last month the Professional Hockey Writers Association honored the San Jose Sharks in the West, and the Washington Capitals in the East with the Dick Dillman Award
as the NHL's best media relations departments. The PWHA announced the awards during the 2007 NHL Entry Draft in Columbus.
The San Jose Sharks media relations staff, lead by Senior Director of Communications Ken Arnold, includes Scott Emmert, Tom Holy, and Ryan Stenn. The Washington Capitals media relations staff, lead by VP of Communications Kurt Kehl, includes Nate Ewell, Paul Rovnak and Julie Petri. Thanks to Eric McErlain for the information
- Mark Smith's band the Vinyl Trees
plays July 20th at the Barnes and Noble in Blossom Hill, and August 17th at the Cardiff Lounge in Campbell. If you attend the shows, drop me a line.
- A quote by vocal Dallas Stars President Jim Lites last week
on his team's inactivity in the free agent market:
Many of the contracts that were signed by free agents in the first 24 hours of free agency were for what we like to call "stupid money." In our opinion, several teams drastically overpaid to sign these free agents and they are now tied to contracts for many years that they may regret in the future because of the way it will hinder their roster movement.
- The post
on Sharkspage noting the firing/buyout of San Jose beat writers Victor Chi and Ross McKeon made its way to the far corners of the web. Deadspin
, Poynter Romenesko
, Sports Designer
, Sports Journalists
, James Mirtle
, and Hockeybuzz
covered the topic to name a few. An update will be posted as soon as more information is available.
- Former Sharks prospect Glenn Olson
was involved in a small plane crash on Vancouver Island this weekend that killed the pilot. As another passenger was airlifted to a hospital, Olson remained trapped under the wreckage with a broken leg until an officer could cut him loose.
- She believes: Redding girl eager to live hockey dream at Lake Placid school
- Redding Record Searchlight.
[Update] This silkscreen shirt
by Sportscrack.com will not be the new Sharks design, but it is cool enough I had to buy one. They are onsale for $6 now because it looks like they might be discontinued. A portion of all sales goes to the American Cancer Society in honor of Gail Fairchild.
[Update2] Sharks Sign Center Logan Couture
[Update3] Snoopy's 75-and-over Senior World Hockey Tournament July 15-21 in Santa Rosa