Shark Notes [Dean Lombardi tribute edition]- Video of Teemu Selanne's "goal" with .01 seconds left in regulation against Dallas. "It was a joke... Thank God this game didn't mean anything" Teemu told reporters after the goal was disallowed.
- Cornell, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Colorado College are the top seeds for the 2003 NCAA mens Frozen Four
[tournament | photos] .
Follow the Sharks prospects:
Doug Murray [Cornell]
Dan Spang [Boston University]
Tom Cavanaugh [Harvard]
Tom Walsh [Harvard]
Tim Conboy [St Cloud State]
- Top Shelf has an excellent article on San Jose Sharks goaltending coach Warren Strelow this month.
- Canadian icons Don Cherry and Wayne Gretzkey are caught up in a wave of protest after expressing their support for the US in Iraq.
- Rumors are surfacing that former Sharks GM Dean Lombardi was let go because the contracts of Damphousse, Selanne, and Graves could not be moved.
- The NHL released its inaugural list of divers last week.
F - Matthew Barnaby [NYR]
F - Shaun Van Allen [OTT]
D - Darius Kasparaitis [NYR]
D - Bryan McCabe [TOR]
G - Rick DiPietro [NYI]
Khabibulin like wall
Nikolai Khabibulin made 34 saves as the Sharks lose to the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-1.
Montreal fans boo US anthemPrior to a game between the Montreal Canadiens and the New York Islanders, Montreal fans booed the American national anthem.
The Canadiens lost the game 6-3, and fell 8 points behind the last playoff spot with 7 games remaining.
"I think it's still disrespectful to boo another country's national anthem." Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro said before the game.
[Update: Booing a shame]
GM Dean Lombardi goes down with the shipIn his seventh full season as the Sharks general manager, Dean Lombardi was fired and replaced with assistant GM Wayne Thomas.
Trades made this season:
Jillson/Sundstrom/3rd for McLaren/4th
Ragnarsson for McGillis
Heins for conditional pick
Nolan for McCauley/Boyes/1st
Marchment for 3rd/5th
Bradley for Primeau
McGillis for 2nd
Past trade highlights:
Friesen/Shields for Selanne
Donovan/1st for Ricci/2nd
1st/2nd/5th for Damphousse
Odgers/5th for Iafrate
Vernon/3rd for Harvey/4th
More/Swanson/4th for McSorley
Jim Fahey - 1998
Brad Stuart - 1998
Patrick Marleau - 1997
Scott Hannan - 1997
Marco Sturm - 1996
Evgeni Nabokov - 1994
Ron Wilson 11-20-11
Darryl Sutter 192-182-60
Al Sims 27-47-8
For further reading:
Sharks fire General Manager Dean Lombardi - Mercury News
Gaff hooked: New owners sinking Sharks - ESPN
Sinking Sharks fire GM - SF Chronicle
Fleury sinks the Sharks in OT
Theo Fleury's 30th career goal against San Jose gave the Blackhawks a 3-2 OT victory.
Shark Notes [Post deadline edition]- San Jose is 15 points out of a playoff spot and 6 points out of the top position for the 2003 draft lottery.
- Trading Nolan for McCauley/Boyes/1st round pick looks a little better after the deadline. GM Dean Lombardi was able to hold Marchment out of the trade with Toronto and later obtain 3rd and 5th round picks from Colorado.
- The trade to bring in 6,3 220 pound center Wayne Primeau is an interesting one. Even though Primeau is -30, Pittsburgh is a team that has auctioned off almost all of its NHL talent. Primeau adds size and goals [5G, 11A, 70 GMS] to a 4th line that has not been the same since Matteau/Sutter/Stern.
- According to CBS statistical rankings, only one Shark makes the top 20 for his position. That player is.... Vincent Damphousse.
Marchment traded to Avs for 3rd and 5th round picks
Sharks GM Dean Lombardi traded defenseman Bryan Marchment to the Colorado Avalanche for a 3rd and 5th round pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.
Marchment has 11 points, and 108 PIMs in 66 games for San Jose this season.
For furthur reading:
Avalanche add Marchment - CBC.ca
Sharks get two draft picks for Marchment - ESPN
Barry Melrose on losing NolanESPN's Barry Melrose answered my question on where the Sharks go from here after trading Owen Nolan:
[Q] What will the Sharks do to make up for the loss of Nolan and avoid another disappointing season next year?
[A] Melrose: "Young, skilled guys like Patrick Marleau, Marco Sturm and Brad Stuart are going to have to step up and get better... [Marleau] is having a good season, but Patrick has to become the stud on that team if San Jose wants to go anywhere."
[Update: Nolan and McCauley radio interviews on TheFan 590]
Owen Nolan vs Ed Belfour
Now they are teammates.
Now they are teammates as well.
All eyes still on NolanAfter a scathing ESPNmag article last week, several unidentified quotes about Nolan made their way around the league. The Toronto Star has a new article disputing those comments, Nolan attacks uncalled for.
Unfortunately, the same St. Louis author from last week is back again trashing Owen: Leafs still fishing for Nolan.
This time, the author speaks for himself instead of hiding behind anonymous "insiders". [Previous "quotes" can be seen here.]
[Nolan] "has alienated himself from his teammates and bosses like no skipper in recent memory."To add more blood to the water, Montreal and Philadelphia now seem to be in the bidding for the talented right winger.
[Owen's] "talent is not in dispute...when he feels like using it."
"The view from the outside is this: If Nolan is miserable where he wants to be, how miserable will he be where he DOESN'T want to be?"